Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) Advisor
TPN is a high-alert medication, requiring a complex and lengthy ordering process prone to medication errors at all levels including ordering, compounding and administration.
The TPN Advisor facilitates an easy, electronic ordering process in Cerner with built-in decision support. It has an intuitive workflow that facilitates both custom and pre-mix ordering TPN processes.
The Advisor displays TPN-related medications, related labs and relevant patient data during the ordering process.
Other highlights include:
- Automatic salt conversion for pharmacy and simply daily electrolyte order format for providers
- Reference range guidance and previous day TPN comparison
- Ability to place relevant lab orders for the next day
- Age-based calculations and flexing based on age
- Flexing based on facility product availability
- Intuitive electronic order verification for nursing during administration to minimize errors
- Compatibility with CAPS interface for compounding facilitates comprehensive documentation of team rounding and transitional care planning
- Developed to enhance communication between disciplines and to assist in reduction of adverse events such as hospital-acquired conditions and readmissions
Features of the Smart Template Wizard include:
- The capability to aggregate data from multiple chart locations into one easy-to-read format
- The ability to quickly determine the patient’s condition, related to a particular condition or illness, while documenting the steps taken to address the issue
Next: Quality Advisors